As part of this blog post, I will give the feedback for IBM Career Education Program.
About the program
In a world, where there is growing demand for skilled IT professionals, the key to transforming today’s students into tomorrow’s working professionals is to develop industry capabilities right from foundation level. To this effect, the Career Education Program of IBM (under Software Group) has caused revolutionary changes in academia, rapidly building industry-relevant software capabilities that organizations need today and tomorrow.
The program is a holistic, comprehensive one with customized offerings for Engineering and Business Schools, students and faculty members; ensuring the right results & benefits by collaborating at various levels, be it curriculum support, software foundation skills, capability building or experiential learning through Live Projects.
With this initiative, IBM has partnered with various Colleges and Universities across India. Since 2011, the program helped more than 80,000 students and faculty members develop industry relevant software capabilities.
Following are the key aspects of the program
- Student Development Program
- Faculty Development Program
- Experiential Learning with Live Projects
Here are the details about curriculum of the program
Advantages of the program
Program sounds very interesting with emphasis on following topics with respect to industry
- Enterprise Application Development
- Enterprise Mobile Application Development
- Turning Data into Insights
- Big Data and Analytics
- Cloud Computing
- Testing tools
- Information Management
Disadvantages of the program
Here are some of the disadvantages of the program based on the curriculum published. I will however stay corrected if my assumptions are incorrect.
- Too much IBM oriented
- As job market is trending towards generic roles, getting tagged with technology is not good sign
- Not much emphasis on open source. Industry is more inclined towards open source technologies.
- Foundation of Data Warehousing, ETL tools are missing for topics such as Insights, Big Data and Analytics etc
- Tools like Cognos are a bit out dated and IBM DB2 is neither market leader nor open source
I am not sure about following details
- Cost of the course
- Quality of the content
- How far they provide lab access?
- Difficulty level of tests conducted for granting certification
Not taking above things into account, I will not recommend these courses.
Here are the things I will sort out for
- Comprehensive course based on job titles such as Data Engineer, Application Developer etc
- Data Engineer – Scala, Spark, Kafka, Flume, Sqoop, Hive, ETL concepts and Frameworks etc
- Application Developer – Developing end to end application using full stack which includes web application as well as cross platform mobile app with a bit of emphasis on analytics
- Cloud or DevOps Engineer – OpenStack, Ansible, Jenkins, Jira, github, Continuous Deployment or Continuous Integration etc
I am expecting industry experts to review the curriculum of IBM Career Education Program with my feedback and provide insights to the students. Also IBM should maintain database of the students who got jobs in the roles they have trained as part of the program. Insights should be made public to improve the credibility of the program.
Please click on below link to provide your comments on the program or my feedback about the program.